Sunday, November 22, 2015

11/22/15
 Ruts...and comfort zones...

ok. so for those of you who know me well, know that while I am friendly and I have many friends, making friends is not easy for me.  I also do not like to go places that are unfamiliar or that I haven’t been or where there are going to be people that I do not know.  So, going to college is hard.  Going to parties is hard.  Going to new places alone is hard.  
I was recently invited to a birthday party of a new friend.  While getting the invite was exiting…the thought of going scared the shet out of me.  
Normally, I would talk myself out of going through out the day.  I typically sit on the fence about going to events, getting up in the morning and being excited about having plans and by the time comes around, realizing that I do not want to leave my home and make small talk with people.
I was pretty much set on not going.  Then I remembered that I need to get out and do things.  I need to take chances.  I did not move to MKE to hide in my apartment during my free time.  If I want to network and meet people and make friends, I need to leave my apartment. 
I went to the party.  I danced (ok only a little) at the party.  I had fun!  I made the small talk.  It felt good.  I remembered how much I do enjoy these things and I need to do more of them.  
Stepping out of our comfort zones can be terrifying.  It can cause anxiety for us.  In the end, it can be just what is needed to get out of a rut that we are stuck in.  
So here is to taking more chances and getting out of our comfortable ruts :)

Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment